Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A day at the hospital...

The last 48 hours I've been mostly in and around the hospital. My biggest takeaway at this moment is the relationship I've started to construct with the mother's here. I've been covering and dressing like them and its made a bigger impact than I could image. And for me-- wonderfully simple lessons in respecting culture and custom.



I could say so much about how the women love when I wear a hijab, and I will, but right now I'll just show some pictures...


First off--tell me this picture doesn't make you smile:

Another cute boy...

A few things you'll always see:



Some kids just don't want to have their chest cut open...

Two mothers shared their packed lunch with me. They have all been so, so generous and kind to me.

Its been amazing listening to medical professionals address these issues and work so tirelessly on saving kids' lives.

Every mother/child is so unique and I've loved being trusted to photograph them.


Thanks!
Lydia

2 comments: